Saturday, April 27, 2013

Nostalgia

     This post is in no way running related. Today, a yearning in my heart for bygone days is leaving me with a nostalgic, happy heartache. While not a good verbal communicator, I feel the need to express this tugging instead of repress it. Writing is my chosen medium, you my unwitting, unlucky audience.

     Houses and apartments mean nothing unless they are filled not by things, but by those you love and even some you cannot stand to be around. Human interaction, good or bad, is the driving force of our world. Without it, nothing would get done and there would be no need for it. Living would become a bleak existence, composed of a relationship with one's self and (hopefully) God. However, even God would frown upon this mode of survival. As Christians we are to be interacting with folks, speaking and proclaiming His salvation from our sin nature. There would be no purpose to His creation. We would founder and disappear.
     Extended periods of solitude are used as punishment in most societies. Leaving one alone with himself often leads to derangement and, in the worst cases, suicidal tendencies.The need for human interaction is programmed into our DNA. What else would cause a governing body to utilize such a cruelty against an offender?
     Luckily or unluckily, whatever stand you take, we have the opportunity to interact with other humans every second of our waking lives. Even in our sleep. Interaction does not solely include verbal and ignore all others. Touch, sight and even taste are included, of course the latter in the more romantic of settings.
     I count myself lucky, or more truthfully: blessed. The interactions I've had throughout my short lifespan have given me so much and taken absolutely nothing. Whether it be nonsensical blabbering between friends, holding of hands, a hug, a deep, meaningful conversation or silent respect for the individual you are with, it is all a way to give and to share. Even arguments, ugly and unseemly as they often are, do not take anything. You may leave damaging scars, both physical and emotional in nature, but nothing ever leaves you. Nothing is taken. Ideas are shared, love is shared, hate is shared, a touch is shared by the invasive fingertip and the receiving nerve ending.
     I have shared much. I have doled out ideas, stories, laughter, facts, hugs, touches and far too many scars. However, no matter how much I have given, I have received ten-fold in return. I do not speak in respect of hurt; that is not my chosen perception of life experiences. I speak in terms of all the good that those whom I have had the pleasure of knowing have bestowed on me.
     My memory is filled with people I love and have loved me in return. Even those who would not share air with me have given me much. Most of those individuals don't know the impact they've had on my everyday existence. All I can do is reach out and thank them. That won't be nearly enough.

No comments:

Post a Comment