Monday, January 14, 2013

Eat, Sleep, Run, Grow, Hike, Explore, Trespass & A Shoe Review

This weekend, the Kel and I headed down to Chambersburg, Pa for the inaugural Eat, Sleep, Run, Grow (http://www.eatsleeprungrow.com/) women's conference and expo. Let me get it out there early that we were working the event for Achiva and Foxtrot. I was not attending. The event was organized and executed by Brenda Miller and a great group of volunteers. The conference consisted of mini-seminars on topics from self defense to nutrition to chi running. Fruit, coffee and lunch were all provided and everything was delicious! This event was so well organized and the help so good that one couldn't have guessed this was a first year event. Ladies, if you're looking for a girl-only weekend, I suggest you hit this up next year! We will definitely be headed back down!

     While we were there, we introduced our newest shoe from Mizuno, the Wave Evo Lvitas with a great response. Up until now, Mizuno has stuck to their guns on staying far away from the minimalist footwear market. They put in the time and research, feeling out how the market would trend and finally struck with this sweet little deal. For a while there it seemed like every company was dumping out a lightweight, low lifespan, exposed EVA soled shoe and calling it minimalist. These models have quickly gone by the wayside and are being phased out.
     What I like so much about the Levitas is the thought that was put into it. I always tell people who balk at shoe prices that they are paying for the technology and research as much as the materials used to make them.  Mizuno's technology has long been the Wave Plate located in the heels of all their shoes. This plate is meant to absorb and disperse the force of impact when your heel strikes the ground. Mizuno has taken this idea and transferred it to the forefoot of the Levitas to perform the same task: disperse impact forces. This allows your foot to work while still providing your body with cushion and a little extra protection and support. Genius.
     The uppers of this shoe are very, very thin, making it a three-season go getter. Mizuno has gone to great lengths to lighten their shoes while maintaining costs and midsole materials. To do this, all of the 2013 models have gone through a very drastic stripping of the uppers, lightening the shoes by as much as an ounce.
My only negative so far has been the toe box, which is much tighter than I personally enjoy. However, if you are a normal human being, you'll be fine with it. The shoe has the great Mizuno midfoot fit and feel that people love.
   If you're new to the world of minimalism, think of this one as your PR maker. Use it for speed work, track work, races and shorter distances. If you're tried and true in the art of midfoot-forefoot running, think of this as your new best friend and tear the soles off!
Evo Levitas Men

Evo Levitas Women

     Switching gears, I wanted to touch on a subject that people who own land might find offensive. I have a problem that I equate to being born in the wrong century: I have a need to find out what is on the other side of the ridge. With so much technology and google maps and the like, I feel like people's sense of adventure and curiosity about the world around us has dwindled to all but nothing.
I enjoy running for many reasons, but we'll start with consciousness. The road, and especially the trail, makes you ultra-aware yet also tuned out. The mind just works better while propelling your body down a path using its own machinery. Problems are solved, ideas are born, smells (usually dead possums) are vibrant and little things are more easily noticed. Also, some of the best prayers are prayed while enjoying sunrises. You run and think about nothing when all at once your stride syncs with your surroundings, your mind is completely calm and you're just happy to be alive and have this gift of running ability. You know what I mean.
However, this awareness also helps me to notice little paths that I've never seen and ignore that bright yellow POSTED sign as I hop off of the pavement and into the dirt.
     Four-wheeler trails are my vice. Usually I'll use my better judgement and stay away, but that all depends on how long ago I watched Deliverance. Today, I didn't think about squealing in the woods as I climbed up the side of the ridge and wandered around past deer stands, through brush, up and down power lines and above people'a houses, just behind the tree line. I respect people and their right to privacy, and i don't trudge through anyone's back yards. But, when hunting season is over and most of the "outdoorsmen" have returned to the comfort of the recliner, I poke around and see how I can get to Foot of Ten from Dry Run.
Lewis and Clark had it made. They discovered and mapped 3/4 of an entire continent, had an Indian guide and camped in Cape Disappointment! In a world with not much left to discover, I am left to explore uncharted territory. When my foot prints are the only thing left, and only Sacagawea could see them anyway, I'll take the chance and find out where these paths go.

1 comment:

  1. Good points about land access. Not only were you born in the wrong century, but the wrong continent as well. In Europe, footpaths across private and public ground are commonplace. I trace my interest in trail running to the year I lived in England when I was in 6th grade. The footpath to the next town, which was ten miles away, was visible from my bedroom window. Right now, Rails to Trails is trying to connect the Lower Trail with the Foot of Ten trail. That's the closest you'll get around here. You'd be amazed how many people don't want to let the rail trail through as well, and the reasons they cite, all of which have been disproved. Hopefully in 5 years you'll be able to travel from Hollidaysburg to the Lemon House without getting in a car, or run over by one! Ethan

    ReplyDelete